Search This Blog

Tuesday 19 July 2011

To Monetize Social Media, Humanize It

HBR Blog Network

by Amy Jo Martin
Hi, I'm Amy. A quick introduction is in order here because, while you don't know me, you may know my work. I've spent the past three years building an online brand you may know called Shaquille O'Neal. It's been an amazing voyage navigating the uncharted waters of social media with this Columbus-like pioneer of the medium. Through many experiments with @SHAQ@DoubleTree by Hilton and@TheRock among others, I've created some best practices, and I've identified some worst practices. I've built my owntwitter presence and started a company, Digital Royalty, which assists brands of all types in increasing their influence using social channels.
I'm here to share all of this with you in a series of posts that will focus mostly on what I deal with everyday, which is the tension that persists between serious social media advocates like myself and the CEOs and boardrooms that I work with. At the highest levels of companies, a remarkably naïve cynicism about social media remains. Put it this way: If I gained a follower every time a CEO rolled his eyes at me when I said "Twitter," I'd be Lady Gaga (11.2 million followers).
The executives' skepticism seems to be rooted in the remarkably persistent idea that social media somehow is not worth their time, a fad, or not for serious business. I'm here to argue that their position is not only foolish, but also irresponsible.

No comments:

Post a Comment